Monday, June 8, 2009

Bass build update 3

So I tackled the bass again yesterday and learned a lot more about wood-working and planning. I'm obsessively going against common-sense by building a bridge from wood. I bought these beautiful pieces of cocobolo for this purpose. I also bought another ebony fretboard scrap just in case. Anywho, after scrapping 2 good chunks of ebony with the router, I called my friend Steve and borrowed his mitre saw. Now we're talking! Carved a nice, big chunky bridge from cocobolo and recessed the body so I could slot it in solidly. It looks gorgeous... too bad it's too high! Bah. So I carved an ebony bridge form 1/4 inch stock. Much better. Now I have a nice cocobolo bridge that will just have to find a home... oh no... heh. So next is installing the Fender-style bridge saddles on to the ebony. I'm going to chisel out a small track and dremel-it round so I have a small half-barrel-like shape that the saddle will fit into. I'm gonna get at the intonation a little and hopefully I won't be too far off. If I am, I'm not worried, I'll dig up some more until I get it right. After that, time for the sound-block. So I'm doing string-through and instead of putting metal ferrules, I'll be inserting a block of cocobolo in the bottom of the body. The strings will go through that block, into the body, out through the bridge and over the saddles all the way to the headstock. I'm gonna insert the ground wire in there somewhere too.
After all that? Pickups and electronics. Strings. Finishing touches. 2 more weeks hopefully before I can get started on the other 2 I have to build.
Hooray!

No comments: